- Media Intern - New York, NY, USA
Assist the Media Department with the development and execution of strategic media campaigns on a variety of issues related to drug policy reform. The internship is unpaid and begins immediately.
- Update and maintain extensive media database of journalists interested in drug policy reform;
- Create targeted press lists based on specific media campaigns;
- Organize and track media clips generated by or about the Drug Policy Alliance;
- Assist with pitching reporters to get them interested in particular stories;
- Assist with writing and editing press releases;
- Help coordinate press conferences, teleconferences, and other media-related events.
- Identifying opportunities to respond to breaking news and/or public comments on social media
- Researching outreach opportunities on Facebook, Twitter and other social networks
This person must be very organized, energetic and interested in both media and drug policy reform. Though much of the internship is administrative, there is tremendous opportunity to learn how to execute national and local media campaigns from start to finish.
About the Drug Policy Alliance
The Drug Policy Alliance envisions a just society in which the use and regulation of drugs are grounded in science, compassion, health and human rights, in which people are no longer punished for what they put into their own bodies but only for crimes committed against others, and in which the fears, prejudices and punitive prohibitions of today are no more. Our mission is to advance those policies and attitudes that best reduce the harms of both drug misuse and drug prohibition, and to promote the sovereignty of individuals over their minds and bodies. Specific issues advocated by the Alliance include marijuana decriminalization; treatment instead of jail for non-violent offenders; and needle exchange to reduce the spread of HIV, Hepatitis C and other infections diseases. More information about the Drug Policy Alliance can be found at www.drugpolicy.org.
The Drug Policy Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in hiring those who have been adversely affected by the war on drugs.
Note: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Apply online here http://www.drugpolicy.org/jobs-and-internships/media-intern-new-york-ny
Visit us here http://www.drugpolicy.org
Posted on 10 July 2017
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying for this position