- Advocacy Advisory, USA
Christian Connections for International Health
CCIH, www.ccih.org, is a global membership association with approximately 150 Christian organizations, 20 secular or interfaith affiliate organizations, and over 400 individual members. Motivated by our Christian faith and our values, CCIH envisions a world where all have access to quality healthcare and prevention services. Our mission therefore is to mobilize and empower our network to promote global health and wholeness from a Christian perspective. CCIH has earned a respected reputation for its information sharing and networking services and as an advocate for faith-based organizations in the professional global health and development community. We are financed by membership dues and a variety of grants. CCIH is an equal opportunity employer. This position reports to the CCIH Program Director.
This position manages CCIH’s overall advocacy effort, currently focused in Washington, DC but with aspiration to influence decision making in other contexts. This position contributes to key outcomes for CCIH including conveying information from CCIH and assisting members to be effective advocates as well. Specific duties:
● Manage and coordinate CCIH advocacy efforts on behalf of our membership to the U.S. Members of Congress, their staff, the Administration, and their advisors.
● Represent CCIH at coalition meetings on a wide variety of issues in global health and nutrition.
● Build upon CCIH’s demonstrated expertise in advocacy in maternal and child health (especially family planning), and health system strengthening for faith-based health networks.
● Plan and execute key events such as an annual advocacy day for CCIH members from the U.S. and the global south, including arranging Hill meetings and coordinating teams and planning logistics.
● Assist CCIH members throughout the year with advocacy efforts in Washington, DC.
● Develop and report on an overall advocacy strategy for internal use and work on strategies with partners.
● Develop or contribute to fact sheets/handouts for advocacy/policy use.
● Interview CCIH members around the world to understand their work and collect stories to share in advocacy efforts.
● Ensure that advocacy efforts and campaigns align with communications activities by creating updates for the monthly CCIH Connector, website, as well as assist with social media. This may also include organizing webinars for CCIH member education on policy issues and action steps (recruiting speakers, moderators, strategizing topics, etc.).
● Monitor and evaluate policy/advocacy activities.
● Support grant proposal development and prepositioning efforts.
● Participate in planning and execution of CCIH’s annual conference, using that both as a forum for advocacy and training ground for members’ own advocacy.
● Apart from a small Operations office in Sterling, VA, staff work remotely and meet frequently via phone, online, and occasionally in person when needed, typically in the Washington, DC area.
● Some overnight travel will be necessary especially around the conference.
● Hours: This is a full time, exempt position, with the expectation of occasional times of flexing hours.
● Based in the Washington, DC metro area.
● Intermediate understanding of global health and nutrition issues.
● Ability to work remotely and participate in virtual or in-person meetings when necessary.
● 2+ years work experience required in advocacy roles in Washington, DC.
● Excellent English written and oral communication skills.
● Demonstrate intermediate proficiency with MS Office, Google products.
● Ability to lift and move boxes or materials weighing up to 25 pounds.
● Ability to travel locally or regionally, for several days, with potential for international travel.
● Ability to obtain a passport for international travel.
● Bachelor’s Degree.
ADDITIONAL CAPABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES DESIRED
● A team player who takes pride in his/her integrity and will represent our organization and our members honestly.
● Understanding of basic business processes of a membership organization.
● Demonstrated ability to work well under tight deadlines.
● Motivated self-starter, with ability to manage tasks in a timely manner with limited supervision.
● People-oriented with strong interpersonal communication skills.
● Detail orientation.
● Mission and service motivation.
● Social media adeptness.
● Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work well with diverse groups of people or cultures.
● French and/or Spanish language proficiency desired, but not required.
Salary comparable with non-profit, faith-based organizations.
Job posted on 15th October 2018
Please mention Policy Jobs when applying to this position